Therapist Client Relationship - Positionality and Power
In reflecting on my experiences with power, privilege, and oppression, I have become increasingly aware of how my background shapes my work as a clinical social worker. I am currently interning at Wasatch Behavioral Health - Provo Family Clinic, where I work primarily with low-income individuals on Medicaid. I recognize that I come from a position of economic privilege, while many of those I serve do not. This difference creates an inherent power dynamic, one that requires me to approach my role with humility and awareness so I do not unintentionally reinforce inequities.
I also carry the privilege of having been raised in a traditional family with both parents present, and I am now raising my own family in similar circumstances. In contrast, many of my clients come from family structures that look very different. While my background influences how I view family life, my clients’ lived experiences challenge and expand my perspective as a clinician. I see it as my responsibility to honor their unique strengths without imposing my own assumptions or preferences.
These experiences continually remind me of the importance of curiosity and sensitivity in clinical work. I strive to bring openness into every session, seeking understanding with compassion, focusing on client strengths, and supporting individuals and families as experts in their own lives.
I also recognize that my lived experience can shape how clients perceive me. Some may wonder if my background limits my ability to empathize with their struggles. My hope is that, over time, clients will feel safe with me and know they are met with love, respect, and unconditional positive regard.

Comments
Post a Comment