My social position reflects a mix of privilege, power, and oppression.

Power: In my home, I have held power as a stay-at-home mother. I enjoy the freedom to influence the rhythms of my household and guide the growth of my children without outside control. I choose what to feed my children, where they attend school, and which religious beliefs I teach them in the home. I have been entrusted to mother my bonus son, Zack, whose birth mother allowed me space to step in when her circumstances were limiting. While caregiving roles are sometimes undervalued in society, my experience has been one of support and encouragement in this important work I have chosen to pursue.

Privilege: I am privileged because of the color of my skin. I have never experienced discrimination or lost opportunities based on my physical appearance. I am also privileged by financial stability. My ability to remain home with my children is directly tied to economic resources, and I am grateful for that priviledge every day. In addition, I am privileged in educational opportunities. My husband’s position as a college professor provides me with a tuition benefit, making continued education much more accessible.
Oppression: I have experienced oppression related to my gender. As a woman, I recognize that my opinions are often not valued as highly as those of my male counterparts, and I am frequently labeled as overly emotional. However, being supported in my role as a stay-at-home mother by my husband, family, and friends has greatly reduced the impact this oppression might otherwise have on my life.
Comments
Post a Comment