Hello!
My name is Courtenay South
I was born in Canada in 1979 to Ronald and Susan Carter
Growing up, my family was middle-class.
We didn't have an abundance of money, but we always had enough.
We felt loved, seen, and safe.
My parents raised me, my sister, and two brothers in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I can't remember a time when I didn't believe in Jesus Christ.
I also can't remember a time when I wasn't teased for my beliefs.
I was teased as a child. I was teased as a teen.
I was teased by my peers at school, and I was teased by my extended family.
Being teased for my religious beliefs was the first time I remember being labeled as different.
The first time I remember noticing I was part of a minority social identity group.
I can't remember a time when I didn't believe in Jesus Christ.
I also can't remember a time when I wasn't teased for my beliefs.
I was teased as a child. I was teased as a teen.
I was teased by my peers at school, and I was teased by my extended family.
Being teased for my religious beliefs was the first time I remember being labeled as different.
The first time I remember noticing I was part of a minority social identity group.
In 1997, at the age of eighteen, I moved to the United States to attend Brigham Young University.
Once at BYU, it didn't take long for the Canada jokes to start.
Being labeled as 'other' because of my nationality was a new experience for me.
But, as a white, able-bodied, straight immigrant, I was able to roll with the microaggressions.






Comments
Post a Comment